Wednesday, June 11, 2008

vegan airport dining

When flying back to Seattle, I was nervous about trying to eat vegan for several reasons. One of them was how I was going to manage my eating during 6-8 hours of travel. This may not seem like a big deal, but I've always been the type of person who picks up a "snack" wherever I can get it. My metabolism is still cranking away and I find that I get hungry pretty quick. Usually this has meant grabbing something from McDonald's (those McGriddles are my weakness) or some Panda Express Chinese or something. I packed enough food to hold me over, but that dang airport food is always so tempting. Fortunately this time, I was able to indulge my grumbling belly with something other than my apple, PBJ, pretzels, and fruit and nut mix. Before I left I found this blog post, and I just happened to be flying in to Minneapolis, so I was in luck. From what I hear vegans in other airports usually have a much harder time.
Here's how I fared at the French Meadow Cafe and Bakery.
1- On the way out I chowed on a bowl of black bean chili with a couple slices of bread. It was pretty good, but not spectacular.
2- On the way home I had an almost 3 hour lay over, so I splurged on a Grilled, Marinated Tempeh Reuben, and it was fabulous. It even inspired me to grab a loaf of rye bread from the bakery to try my own version in the next week.
3. And for dessert, vegan carrot cake - delicious.
I'll be trying to connect in Minneapolis whenever possible from now on :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had success finding food at the airport in Minneapolis. French Meadow Bakery has come through for us many times on the Madison-Seattle route. With airport food, "okay" is what we hope for. When the food is actually good (even healthy) it's a plus. We've also had good luck with vegetarian sushi in the Japanese restaurant in Detroit. It's the big one with an actual dining room.

Beware of Milwaukee...nothing for vegans there.